Music is a big deal to Lena Dunham, the creator/writer/star of HBO's Girls, and now the series is getting the soundtrack treatment. Girls – Volume 1: Music from the HBO Original Series, out January 8, features artists like fun., Robyn and Fleet Foxes, but the highlight might be this new track from Santigold, aptly titled "Girls." Listen below.
The song casts a spell with its various repetitions ("girls!" "ay!"), and there's plenty of fun to be had here. It's a typical genre-defying blast of a track from Santigold; we hope Dunham wrote the Philly-bred artist a nice thank-you note.
"Music is such a huge part of my creative process," Dunham says of the soundtrack. "I make playlists to write by and listen to as I head to set in the morning, and I experiment in editing with songs that the characters would love and that accurately reflect their struggles. Girls' music supervisor Manish Raval and I are crazy about everything from the pop that teen girls devour to the niche indie rock from days of yore. To collaborate with Fueled by Ramen and so many artists who inspire me on this compilation is a dream."
Check out the digital deluxe edition's tracklist:
1. Robyn: "Dancing on My Own"
2. fun.: "Sight of the Sun"
3. Harper Simon: "Wishes And Stars"
4. Santigold: "Girls"
5. White Sea: "Overdrawn"
6. Grouplove: "Everyone's Gonna Get High"
7. Sleigh Bells: "Infinity Guitars"
8. Tegan & Sara: "Fool to Cry"
9. The Echo-Friendly: "Same Mistakes"
10. Icona Pop: "I Love It"
11. Belle & Sebastian: "I Don't Love Anyone"
12. The Troggs: "With a Girl Like You"
13. Fleet Foxes: "Montezuma"
14. Oh Land: "White Nights"
15. Generationals: "Yours Forever"
16. The Vaccines: "Wreckin’ Bar (Ra Ra Ra)"
17. Lia Ices: "Love Is Won"
18. Michael Penn: "On Your Way"
What kind of time warp?! '90s (and early 2000s) rock icons Fred Durst, Scott Weiland and Mark McGrath get photobombed by '70s icon Wayne Newton, aka Mr. Las Vegas. This should be all these guys' Christmas cards.