LOS ANGELES, CA - JUNE 08: Actor Cory Monteith attends the 12th annual Chrysalis Butterfly Ball on June 8, 2013 in Los Angele
Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

UPDATE: The final coroner's report says that Cory Monteith died from intravenous heroin use mixed with alcohol in Vancouver, BC. The report ruled his death accidental, adding that the Glee actor had been dead several hours by the time emergency services arrived, so resuscitation was not attempted. Drug paraphernalia was found inside the hotel room including "a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle," plus two empty champagne bottles. Monteith also had a 0.13% BAC or a "moderate level of intoxication," according to a toxicology analysis.

Days after he was found dead in a Vancouver, BC hotel room, an autopsy has confirmed that Glee star Cory Monteith accidentally died from "mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol."

The 31-year-old actor, best known for his role as Finn Hudson on Glee, struggled with substance abuse for years. He told Parade magazine that he started using drugs and alcohol at 13 and entered rehab for the first time at 19. Earlier this year, Monteith completed another stint at a treatment facility for substance addiction.