Starbucks is one of the few places where you can still buy physical CDs in 2013, so it makes sense that the corporate giant was able to nab indie all-stars like Jim James, Vampire Weekend, Fiona Apple, Beck and Ben Harper for an exclusive Valentine's Day compilation. Wait, Valentine's Day? Don't we have to do Christmas first?! Slow down, guys, let's take it one holiday at a time for Pike's Place sake.
According to the Sweetheart cover art, the Starbucks comp is made up of their "favorite artists playing their favorite love songs." The full tracklist is below, but you can listen to My Morning Jacket's Jim James cover Bob Marley's "Turn Your Lights Down Low" (from Exodus) above. We're most excited to hear Beck's take on John Lennon's "Love" and extremely curious to see what Harper does with Mazzy Star's "Fade Into You."
The physical disc will be available only at S-Bux starting February 4 (i.e., too far into the future to think about in a season this busy). In the meantime, prepare for the next-next holiday with our 15 Best Valentine's Day Makeout Songs.
1) Jim James - "Turn Your Lights Down Low" (Bob Marley cover)
2) Vampire Weekend - "Con Te Partirò" (Inspired by the Andrea Bocelli recording)
3) Beck - "Love" (John Lennon cover)
4) Phosphorescent - "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" (Bob Dylan cover)
5) The Head and the Heart - "Don’t Forget Me" (Harry Nilsson cover)
6) Valerie June - "Happy or Lonesome" (The Carter Family cover)
7) Bahamas - "Always on My Mind" (Willie Nelson cover)
8) Thao - "If You Were Mine" (Ray Charles cover)
9) Ben Harper - "Fade Into You" (Mazzy Star cover)
10) Fiona Apple - "I’m In The Middle of a Riddle" (Anton Karas cover)
11) Brandi Carlile - "The Chain" (Fleetwood Mac cover)
12) Blake Mills - "I Hope" (Bobby Charles cover)
13) Sharon Jones - "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I’m Yours" (Stevie Wonder cover)