NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 17:  Troy Ave performs at Stage 48 on November 17, 2015, in New York City.  (Photo by Johnny Nunez/Ge
Johnny Nunez/Getty Images

Troy Ave, the rapper accused of leading a shooting at a T.I. concert at New York’s Irving Plaza last week, has pled not guilty to the charges he faces, and his lawyers stated that he is “the real victim” of the melee.

According to the New York Daily News, Troy Ave (real name: Roland Collins) was wheeled into court on Monday to face charges following last Wednesday’s shooting, which was partially captured in an NYPD video that night. The rapper could be charged with murder following the death of Ronald McPhatter in the backstage incident; two others were wounded in the shooting.

“This defendant is on video coming out of the VIP room where the individuals were shot," said Assistant District Attorney Christine Keenan. "He had the gun in his hand and was seen firing that gun in the direction of fleeing patrons."

However, Troy Ave’s lawyers argued that the video captured by the NYPD was taken out of context.

"What really happened here is Mr. Collins here is the real victim," said attorney Scott Leemon. "The person who was killed at this event, he died a hero. He was his bodyguard. He wasn't shot by Mr. Collins. He was a lifelong friend. … This 11 seconds of video that the NYPD released, it doesn't say what happened before, it doesn't say what happened after. The scientific evidence will show he didn't shoot himself."

Troy Ave is being held without bail after pleading not guilty. The rapper sustained a gunshot wound to his right leg during the incident, and was brought into court in a wheelchair on Monday.