HOLLYWOOD, CA - OCTOBER 30:  Actor Daniel Radcliffe attends the premiere of "Horns" at ArcLight Hollywood on October 30, 2014
Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

Daniel Radcliffe sent a seismic shock through the hearts of Harry Potter fans on Tuesday, when he told the U.K.'s Radio Times that he hasn't ruled out making a return to the franchise. 

For the 26-year-old actor, reprising his turn as the bespectacled wizard hinges on the writing: "It would depend on the script," he said. 

Radcliffe then elaborated: 

“The circumstances would have to be pretty extraordinary. But then I am sure Harrison Ford said that with Han Solo and look what happened there! So I am saying, ‘No,’ for now but leaving room to backtrack in the future.”

A smart turn of phrase from Radcliffe, who managed to get his fans frothing with excitement without leaving anything concrete on the table. He deftly weaves Harrison Ford into the mix, mentioning his role as Hans Solo in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, 22-years after he last played the character in 1983's Return of the Jedi

Even though Radcliffe has long since departed the Potter-verse—he last appeared in 2011’s Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2—J.K. Rowling's juggernaut is still going strong. The franchise's foray into theater, Harry Potter and The Cursed Child, premiered in London's West End earlier this month, and could soon go on tour. But Radcliffe isn't interested in seeing the play, saying that he again will pass on it "for the time being."

For more Potter-madness, watch our pop culture history retrospective, which includes a bit about the birth of Harry Potter: