The upcoming Star Wars opus Rogue One: A Star Wars Story received a brand new trailer on Thursday night, and there’s a lot to unpack. Mixing classic Star Wars imagery with new characters and mysterious new settings, the latest Rogue One teaser has the Internet in a tizzy in an attempt to decipher every minute detail.
But let’s start with the big stuff, shall we? Before Rogue One hits theaters on Dec. 16, here are five things for novices to watch for in the latest trailer:
1. Felicity Jones’ badass past. “Can you be trusted without your shackles?” a leader asks Jyn Erso, the heroine played by The Theory of Everything Oscar nominee. The character’s checkered past was alluded to in the first trailer, but this makes it clear that Erso is not wholly pure. Her response to the question: “Let’s just get this over with, shall we?” And then, she finds out about her mission.
2. Death Star assembly. One thing to note about this trailer and about Rogue One in general: Seeing the Death Star physically come together is going to be breathtaking to watch on the big screen.
3. Baze Malbus’ personal vendetta. “They destroyed our home!” Jiang Wen’s character declares before kicking some Imperial ass. We’re not quite sure where that home is or how important he is to Erso’s team, but he appears to be a marksman with a score to settle.
4. K-2SO will be the wackier C3PO. “The captain says that you’re a friend. I will not kill you.” So goes the funniest line in the new trailer, spouted unwittingly by a hulking android. He also seems to already have ties to Captain Cassian Andor (Diego Luna); maybe there’s a Han Solo-Chewbacca dynamic at play here?
5. Darth Vader! Darth Vaderrrrrrr. He’s probably on the completed Death Star in that fleeting glimpse! Can it be December yet?