The official last day of South by Southwest found the crowd slowly fading from five nights of running to shows, yet bolstered by the St. Patrick's Day energy that justifies drinking heavily and wearing stupid hats. We've got full details on the brawl between ASAP Rocky's crew and the crowd, but here are 10 more memorable moments to close out the festival.
1. Rick Ross Rocks Fader Fort: The Bawse brought out fellow Maybach Music Group rapper Stalley for his 40-minute set. “I want y’all to know that dreams come true,” said the motivational speaker. “Every boss in the game started as a motherf**kin’ worker, so build it from the ground up, do it self-made and be rich forever.”
2. Jazzy Jeff Hits Red Bull: The Philly DJ, alongside hypeman Skills, came through to Red Bull's Thre3 Style party to spin hip hop, reggae and rock. Set highlight: Blending the original samples of tracks from Biggie, Jay-Z and others into the hip hop track. Erykah Badu, Crystal Method, Z-Trip and unannounced guest Nas also performed.
3. Random Awesome Sightings: At a hotel bar, Jack White and Adam Duritz (separately) rolled up, and we got a bit tingly.
4. We Were Promised Jetpacks Shred: The Scottish indie rock quartet's sweeping, extended tracks sound like Explosions in the Sky's angrier older brother.
5. Star Slinger Gets Them Dancing: The Manchester producer/DJ balances Dilla-inspired soulful hip hop and club-friendly dance tracks. Tonight, it was mostly the latter in a high-energy, frenetic set.
6. Hoeks Death Metal Pizza: The best-named pizzeria in the country. Period.
8. Violin Monster: There is a street performer who plays violin with a werewolf mask on. You can write your own joke on this one. (But he's also really talented.) There's even a tumblr devoted to him.
9. Pedicabs are the Best Idea Ever: Austin traffic during SXSW is disgusting. $10 + tip in one of these is one of the best bargains at the festival.
10. Late-Night Food: At 3:30 in the morning, you can still find pizza, tacos and Indian food trucks open for business. This is a great city.