February 21, 2013


Original Slayer Drummer Dismissed for Questioning Contract

Paul Archuleta
Paul Archuleta

Bummer news: Slayer's original drummer is no longer part of the thrash metal band he helped form back in 1981. Dave Lombardo made the announcement on his Facebook page last night, explaining he showed up for a rehearsal with guitarist Kerry King—whom he started the band with over 30 years ago—only to get an email informing him he "was being replaced for the Australian dates."

While Lombardo was "saddened and shocked by the situation," his Facebook post reveals a contract dispute lead up to his dismissal. "Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us," Lombardo wrote.

The metal drummer said he tried to renegotiate "a new business model" with King and vocalist Tom Araya last week, but the band's guitarist "made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes." According to Lombardo, the band was so set on keeping their current contract that King told him "he would find another drummer… if I wanted to argue the point."

Sadly, that's exactly what happened. Jon Dette—who drummed for Slayer in the mid-nineties—is stepping in for the band's upcoming live dates.

For the record, this isn't the first time Lombardo has parted ways with Slayer—although it is the first time he's done so against his will. He briefly left Slayer in 1986 because he "wasn't making any money" and then again in 1992 because of a conflict with his bandmates. He returned in 2002 when King invited him back into the fold.

King told us about a Slayer album dropping in 2013 when we spoke to him last year. If they've already started recording, that album could be the final Slayer record with contributions from Lombardo.