Nowadays, music fans have a kneejerk reaction to hearing an unfamiliar track: Shazam it! And now Shazam is using activity from the music app's 400 million users over the past year to predict 10 acts poised to break out in 2014.
From quickly-rising hip hop stars to a 17-year-old EDM phenom, the app lists the 10 artists people are most curious about. Check out a quick description of each act and hear select tracks. And listen up: According to Evolver.fm, the app accurately predicted early success for Lana Del Rey, HAIM and A$AP Rocky, to name a few.
- Action Bronson - The Queens rapper who gained fame from sick mixtapes and body slamming rowdy concertgoers.
- August Alsina - New Orleans MC who's single "I Luv This Sh-t" was one of the most Shazam-ed rap tracks of 2013 and cracked the Top 50 of the Billboard Hot 100.
- Banks - Quickly-rising pop singer from Los Angeles who toured with the Weeknd this fall.
- Jhene Aiko - R&B siren who's brought her velvety vocals on collabos with Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Big Sean. In August, she told Fuse her debut LP is "98% finished."
- Kid Ink - One of XXL's Top 10 new rappers of 2012, he linked up with French Montana, Wale and Chris Brown this year.
- Lucy Hale - Star of hit ABC Family show Pretty Little Liars, the actress/singer is prepping a country debut.
- Martin Garrix - The 17-year-old EDM phenom whose debut single "Animals" is currently at No. 72 on the Billboard Hot 100 and garnering radio play.
- Rich Homie Quan - The Atlanta rapper's three mixtapes in 2012 established him alongside the likes of Future and Young Scooter as ATL's hip hop torchbearers.
- Sam Smith - The British vocalist best known for singing on Disclosure's "Latch" is coming out on his own with debut single "Money on My Mind."
- Vance Joy - Melbourne singer-songwriter whose single "Riptide" went multi-platinum in Australia and recently signed a deal with Atlantic Records.