Netflix's Nina Simone documentary What Happened, Miss Simone? is set to premiere on June 26. So it's Nina season, and a centerpiece of the celebration will be Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone. The film-accompanying album will include covers by Mary J. Blige, Usher, Common, Lauryn Hill and Simone’s daughter, Lisa.
Today we've got one of Hill's whopping six contributions to the compilation, a passionate take on the classic, frequently covered "Feeling Good." (Just last month Avicii offered an EDM rework; it wasn't the best.)
Listen to Lauryn Hill's version above. It's faithful, creatively interpretative and it ends with a helluva guitar solo.
Ms. Hill offered a statement to Rolling Stone about her love of Simone and her involvement with the project:
“Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice. Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift.”
Here's the full tracklist for Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone, coming July 10:
1. Lisa Simone - "Nobody's Fault but Mine (Intro)"
2. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Feeling Good"
3. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "I've Got Life" - Ms. Lauryn Hill
4. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Ne Me Quitte Pas" - Ms. Lauryn Hill
5. Jazmine Sullivan "Baltimore"
6. Grace - "Love Me or Leave Me"
7. Usher - "My Baby Just Cares For Me"
8. Mary J. Blige - "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"
9. Gregory Porter - "Sinnerman"
10. Common & Lalah Hathaway - "YG&B"
11. Alice Smith - "I Put A Spell On You"
12. Lisa Simone - "I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl"
13. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair"
14. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "Wild Is The Wind"
15. Ms. Lauryn Hill - "African Mailman"
16. Nina Simone - "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free"