By now you’ve probably seen the music video for “Hello,” Adele’s much-ballyhooed new single previewing her third studio album, 25. Maybe the video made you openly weep! Maybe the video made you want to revisit your old flip phone! Or maybe the “Hello” video made you ask, “Hey, why does Adele’s co-star look so familiar?”
That’s 26-year-old actor/musician Tristan Wilds cast opposite Adele in the “Hello” video, which was directed by Xavier Dolan. Does the name still not ring any bells? Here are five things you need to know about Adele’s new leading man:
1. His first film role came opposite Ryan Gosling. Wilds made his big-screen debut in the 2006 drama Half Nelson, which premiered at that year’s Sundance Film Festival. Co-starring Wilds as a student named Jamal, the film earned Gosling an Oscar nomination for Best Actor.
2. He may be best known for The Wire… Wilds played Michael Lee, one of the troubled students in Baltimore, in the brilliant fourth season and pretty-good fifth season of the HBO series. His run began in 2006, the same year Half Nelson was released, and ended in 2008.
3. …Or maybe for the 90210 reboot. Following The Wire, Wilds ended up on the CW’s teen reboot of Beverly Hills, 90210. Although the drama never won the acclaim of The Wire, Wilds became synonymous with the show due to his five-season run from 2008 to 2013.
4. He’s an R&B singer. Going by the name Mack Wilds, the artist signed a label deal with Ten2One in 2010, and used his 90210 clout to get his song “2 Girlz” on the show in 2011. Wilds’ best-known single remains “Own It,” which cracked the Top 40 of the Hot R&B Songs chart in 2013.
5. He was nominated for a Grammy. In 2014, Wilds’ debut album as Mack Wilds, New York: A Love Story, was a surprise nom in the best urban contemporary album category. The full-length lost out to Rihanna’s Unapologetic on Grammy night.