March 16, 2016


Grimes Electrocuted Onstage During Performance in Dublin

Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for American Eagle
Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for American Eagle

Grimes played a headlining show Tuesday night at the Olympia Theatre in Dublin, Ireland. The performance was interrupted several times due to faulty audio equipment that electrocuted the synth-pop star.

Footage of the set was posted to Instagram. Toward the end of the clip, Grimes reacts to something that appears to be an electric shock: 

The artist blamed the dangerous mishap on her own equipment, citing a malfunctioning pedal as the problem. 

Grimes—birth name Claire Elise Boucher—celebrates her 28th birthday on Thursday, and despite the technical glitches that interrupted her show Tuesday night, the Dublin crowd still wished her a happy one: 

Moving forward into her 28th year, the electro star turned women's fragrance entrepreneur will kick off a United States tour, starting at Coachella next month.