April 28, 2016


Chyna's Cause of Death Was Accidental Medication Overdose, Manager Says

Stephen Shugerman/Getty Images
Stephen Shugerman/Getty Images

We're starting to get some clarity about the passing of professional wrestler Chyna, who was found dead at the age of 45 last Wednesday (April 20). Anthony Anzaldo, the 1990s WWF star's manager and the one who found her body, told the Daily Breeze:

“She died of an accidental overdose that took place over the course of two to three weeks by mixing and using legally prescribed medication improperly. It was Ambien and Valium. ... If you abuse both, it’s a very dangerous contest.”

Ed Winter, the assistant chief of the L.A. County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner, told NBC, "It's premature to give a cause of death on a case that the final tests are not in yet."

Anzaldo said Chyna, born Joan Laurer, had taken Ambien for 30 years to treat her insomnia, but he was aware of a growing prescription abuse problem. “Two weeks ago, I told her, ‘You are next. You are going to die if we don’t do something.’ She said, ‘I got it. I got it.'" Anzaldo planned for her to get help in partnership with the A&E series Intervention.

Anzaldo thinks Chyna's death, which occured at her Redondo Beach apartment, was ultimately peaceful. “She closed her eyes. She took her last breath. ... Not a bad way to go," he told the Daily Breeze, later adding, "She died a happy woman on the beach."