With the air in Cleveland thick with humidity and the Quicken Loans Arena in high-alert security, the Republican National Convention has officially kicked off. While you may have caught some of the highlights on PBS or CNN, there were a lot of things that didn’t necessarily happen within the convention walls that you might have overlooked. Here are nine moments we saw that you might want to hear about:
1. Stephen Colbert crashed the main convention stage in a bright blue wig to announce the Hungry For Power Games, a regular skit on his late-night show.
2. Don King, the legendary boxing promoter and supporter of Donald Trump, showed up to give various interviews and hot takes. He was bumped from the official speaker list.
3. The Who's of the celebrity world were out in full force, with Scott Baio, Willie Robertson, and Antonio Sabato Jr. all featured as speakers. Baio pressed that we need to “make America American again,” while Robertson said he was “on the Trump train from the very beginning.” After Sabato’s speech, he told ABC News that we’ve had a Muslim president for seven and a half years” with Barack Obama. OK.
6. The protesters and supporters were various, and creative. Like the dude who decided to put a leash on another guy and hold a sign that said “Kick My Dog 4 Trump”:
7. There were people in neon hats on the convention floor; they were the “hype-men” that kept delegates and supporters cheering.
8. Trevor Noah was there too, and likened the RNC to Pokemon Go: trying to wrangle all the politicians in one place.
9. Rascal Flatts played a benefit show, apparently, but not in conjunction with the RNC.
Watch the highlights of Crash The Parties winner James Villalobos' opening day at the RNC below: