Something about a May 2018 Han Solo origin film has felt a little fishy, a little too soon after this December's Episode VIII: The Last Jedi to actually be true. The hovering snafu appears to have landed, with pretty uniformly successful directors Chris Miller and Phil Lord exiting—or being fired from—the second A Star Wars Story spinoff film.
The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street duo had been filming Alden Ehrenreich (Han), Donald Glover (Lando), Woody Harrelson (Han's mentor) and more heavy-hitters in London since February. The Hollywood Reporter's sources say the Han Solo movie has a few weeks left of filming with reshoots coming in the next couple months.
Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy's statement, per THR:
"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon."
Deadline hears two-time Oscar winner and Hollywood super-veteran Ron Howard (Apollo 13, The Da Vinci Code) may take over.
Lord and Miller's statement, after which we'll get into the dirty said/they said space-rubble:
“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew.”
Lord and Miller's names were at the front of the potential directors list way back when Yung Han Solo was announced two years ago. Also in their prestigious and/or popular cast are Emilia Clarke, Michael Kenneth Williams, Thandie Newton and Phoebe Waller-Bridge.
Variety has its own article, an anonymously sourced breakdown of the breakdown. It says Kennedy took issue with most aspects of Lord and Miller's working style, from shooting to directing actors to sense of humor. One helluva quote, from A Source: “It was a culture clash from day one. She didn’t even like the way they folded their socks.” Miller and Lord were evidently "stunned" to discover their short leashes; while semi-newbies like Gareth Edwards, Rian Johnson and Colin Trevorrow have been given coveted Star Wars director's chairs, the Clone High dudes have quite a bit more experience in the industry.
Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, penned this one with his 37-year-old son. “Kathy, her team and Larry Kasdan have been doing it their way for a very long time," says a source. "They know how the cheese is made and that’s how they want it made. It became a very polarizing set.”
Rogue One also brought in extra artillery, writer/director Tony Gilroy, toward its conclusion. Star Wars aimed to keep things down to a six-month wait between Rogue One and The Last Jedi; the latter got unceremoniously pushed from May '16 to Christmas.
Anyway! Han Solo, coming May 25, 2018!
Next, watch a New York Comic Con rookie and veteran try to make their way through the convention together: