US singer Prince performs on October 11, 2009 at the Grand Palais in Paris. Prince has decided to give two extra concerts at
BERTRAND GUAY/AFP/Getty Images

The Minneapolis Star Tribune has a troubling new report about Prince. Apparently, mislabeled prescription drugs were found in the artist's home; in June, the his April death was ruled to be an accidental fentanyl overdose. The painkiller was located inside Paisley Park in a bottle labeled hydrocodone. 

Prince, who died on April 21 at the age of 57, did not possess a prescription for fentanyl, a synthetic opioid that has been described as "100 times more powerful than morphine," the newspaper writes, citing "a source with knowledge of the investigation." The story goes on to say investigators are "leaning toward the theory that he took the pills not knowing they contained the drug."

The Star Tribune explains that a national fentanyl epidemic has seen the opioid often "mixed with or sold as heroin—as was the case in a series of overdose deaths in north-central Minnesota and North Dakota earlier this year." In July, the Drug Enforcement Agency released a report warning against fentanyl now being marketed in counterfeit pills.

The sources speaking with the Star Tribune also indicate that Prince's autopsy showed  lidocaine, alprazolam and Percocet in his system.

Listen to Fuse's Pop Chat podcast remember Prince: