Nick Jonas' third solo album, Last Year Was Complicated, is officially out today. And, if you let the singer tell it, the project is meant to be his most vulnerable and personal to date. After all, he did go through a seemingly amicable breakup with Olivia Culpo after two years! But how complicated was 2015 for the Jonas brother anyway?
Well, that's where Fuse comes in! We sifted through the album and analyzed the most eye-opening, heart-wrenching lyrics that may give more of an insight to the last 12 months of the singer's life. Let's dig in.
1. From “Voodoo”: "And we ain't enough / If this is what you call love / I swear I'm better alone”
Nick was clearly going through a tough time with former Miss Universe Olivia Culpo, which is probably why he ran into the arms of actress Kate Hudson (allegedly).
2. From “Champagne Problems”: "How many times have we been here before? / How many pieces have to break? / So many reasons not to celebrate / But I hate to see you cry, so let's drink before goodbye"
Drinking to solve your relationship issues isn't the way to go, but even we can't say no to a glass of bubbly.
3. From “Close”: “Cause space is just a word made up by someone who's afraid to get too…close”
You know, there are plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't want to be close to you. Maybe they forgot to pop in a mint. Or maybe you were just a little sweaty that day.
4. From “Chainsaw”: “Maybe I'll just take a chainsaw to the sofa / Where I held your body close for so long, so long / I’m gonna break the fucking china / Cause it's just one more reminder you're gone, you're gone”
What did that sofa do to deserve that treatment, Jonas? And china is very pricy. The least you can do is donate to Goodwill!
5. From “Touch”: “I go from touchin' you with both hands / To touchin' you with no hands”
This naughty line referring to the singer's penis is probably one of the reasons why he is now single. Just imagine how many other ladies he's been "touching"...
6. From “Bacon”: “The one thing I love more than being with you / And that's late nights, doing what I wanna do”
Could he be alluding to when he showed up to 2015 Miss Universe alongside Olivia and had to perform? Did she force him to attend with her? Was there a secret contract? So many unanswered questions!
7. From “Good Girls”: “When did all these good girls decide to be bad? / Dancin’ up on the table, gettin' back at your dad / Who’s the asshole that told you / That’s what you had to do?”
This is a very non-subtle diss clearly aimed at his ex-girlfriend. But calling out a girl's daddy issues is a pretty low move made by fuckboys who got their heart broken.
8. From “The Difference”: “I love you like a grown ass man, pushing all your buttons / I’ll let you in on all my plans, you might learn something”
I'm pretty sure the women you were involved with could think for themselves. Cockiness isn't good look, Nick.
9. From “Don’t Make Me Choose”: "If you really love me / You would never judge me / I would never do that to you”
This line seems to be taken from Drake's sappy playbook, where Jonas wants everyone to know that he's really, really sad.
10. From “Under You”: “Cigarette that I never got a chance to hit / But in my mind baby I can taste your lips”
Apparently his relationship got to a point where he wanted to pick up a bad habit. Good thing he decided to hit some lips instead!
11. From “Unhinged”: “You're not the first to try and diagnose what's wrong with me / I’ll be the first to admit that I'm hard to please”
For someone who sings about daddy issues, he might want to look within himself and see if he's the problem!
12. From “Comfortable”: "I don't need a mic cause the fact is / I’m living my life, it's hot and then cold, cold"
How cold are we talking here? Because Nick doesn't seem to own a shirt, so it can't be that bad.
For more of Nick Jonas, read our essay on why we think he needs to be challenged as a pop star, and watch this interview from his early solo days: